As you may know there are not too many affiliate marketers or internet marketers in Bangladesh. So as a young internet marketer I did not have the opportunity to learn directly from the best or seasoned affiliate marketers. On the other hand, there are thousands of blogs & forums where “experts” talk about their success stories (only a few of them actually reveal what really worked for them) which sometimes get confusing. In this post I will write about some key points that I learnt in my brief 2 years of experience as an affiliate marketer. I hope this post will help you to understand what you should or should not do!
What is affiliate marketing? Simply, you help other people sell their products and as a reward you get a commission for each product sold. In this post though, I will mainly concentrate on Amazon Affiliate Program.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You need a blog. Most affiliate platforms require you to have a blog of your own. Though you can use free wordpress or blogspot blogs I would not recommend that as it lacks a lot of very important functionality. I would recommend that you build your blog in wordpress as it is extremely flexible. Plus, I will set up your wordpress blog for free, so that you can get started immediately.
- You must learn to do keyword research. This is the most important thing when it comes to affiliate marketing. You should pick a niche that you want to promote and you should do a thorough keyword research on Google Adwords to find out a competitive keyword. To give you just a hint, “Freelancing” is a broad category and the competition for this keyword will be very high. So instead you should do a little research and try to find out which alternative is better for your cause, like “Easy freelancing tips” or “freelancing tips for beginners”. These two keywords will have a lot less competition than the first one.
- While choosing keywords keep these things in mind: find out the keyword which has the minimum number of competitors, with 1,000-10,000 search requests in a month. Actually these should depend on your confidence level. If you feel confident that you can go against highly competitive keywords, go ahead.
- You should have 1 blog for a particular product or a particular product category. I find it best to build a blog around 1 main keyword and 3-5 secondary keywords. This helps a lot in terms of SEO.
- A good affiliate marketer should have 100s of blogs. You should set up a blog, upload a few articles in it and forget about it! You should not linger much on a single blog. Personally I am a little behind on this matter. So far I have less than 10 affiliate blogs and I would like to increase this number soon.
- Keep in mind that while the expensive products will get you a higher profit margin, they are harder to sell. On the other hand, inexpensive smaller products are easier to sell. So you should promote both expensive and inexpensive products. Personally, I feel more comfortable promoting smaller items. I have just one blog which promotes product worth or $400+ and honestly, that blog has made me next to nothing. On the other hand, in blogs where I promote $10 or less worth of products, I make hundreds $ promoting them.
- In your blogs, the articles should be about the benefits of the products or product reviews. But you should also add a few limitations of the product too just to keep things neutral. But the positives of the product should be greater than the negatives.
- Never copy-paste the articles. Plagiarism will be the cause of your doom as an affiliate marketer.
- Another very common question regarding affiliate marketing is, “how do I choose the product that I want to promote?”. You can do this in two ways. You can go to Amazon, find out the best selling products and then find a suitable keyword for those products or you can find out less competitive keywords and find products that match those keywords. I follow the first rule.
I will write more about affiliate marketing in future. You can write to me about your questions and I will try to answer them as soon as I can. I didn’t have any guide who can help me through the way, so I had to learn the hard way. But you have me and I will show you the way for free! I may not be an expert but I can certainly show you the right way.
Consider sharing this article! Sharing encourages me to write more!
About Asif Irtiza
Asif Irtiza has been blogging since 2008 and gradually found his way to freelancing!