As you may know there are not too many affiliate marketers or internet marketers in Bangladesh. So as a young internet marketer I did not have the opportunity to learn directly from the best or seasoned affiliate marketers. On the other hand, there are thousands of blogs & forums where “experts” talk about their success stories (only a few of them actually reveal what really worked for them) which sometimes get confusing. In this post I will write about some key points that I learnt in my brief 2 years of experience as an affiliate marketer. I hope this post will help you to understand what you should or should not do!
What is affiliate marketing? Simply, you help other people sell their products and as a reward you get a commission for each product sold. In this post though, I will mainly concentrate on Amazon Affiliate Program.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You need a blog. Most affiliate platforms require you to have a blog of your own. Though you can use free wordpress or blogspot blogs I would not recommend that as it lacks a lot of very important functionality. I would recommend that you build your blog in wordpress as it is extremely flexible. Plus, I will set up your wordpress blog for free, so that you can get started immediately.
- You must learn to do keyword research. This is the most important thing when it comes to affiliate marketing. You should pick a niche that you want to promote and you should do a thorough keyword research on Google Adwords to find out a competitive keyword. To give you just a hint, “Freelancing” is a broad category and the competition for this keyword will be very high. So instead you should do a little research and try to find out which alternative is better for your cause, like “Easy freelancing tips” or “freelancing tips for beginners”. These two keywords will have a lot less competition than the first one.
- While choosing keywords keep these things in mind: find out the keyword which has the minimum number of competitors, with 1,000-10,000 search requests in a month. Actually these should depend on your confidence level. If you feel confident that you can go against highly competitive keywords, go ahead.
- You should have 1 blog for a particular product or a particular product category. I find it best to build a blog around 1 main keyword and 3-5 secondary keywords. This helps a lot in terms of SEO.
- A good affiliate marketer should have 100s of blogs. You should set up a blog, upload a few articles in it and forget about it! You should not linger much on a single blog. Personally I am a little behind on this matter. So far I have less than 10 affiliate blogs and I would like to increase this number soon. If you own an e-commerce platform, I’d suggest that you check out the website https://twohourblogger.com/leadpages-alternatives/, for this website shows you alternatives to lots of things.
- Keep in mind that while the expensive products will get you a higher profit margin, they are harder to sell. On the other hand, inexpensive smaller products are easier to sell. So you should promote both expensive and inexpensive products. Personally, I feel more comfortable promoting smaller items. I have just one blog which promotes product worth or $400+ and honestly, that blog has made me next to nothing. On the other hand, in blogs where I promote $10 or less worth of products, I make hundreds $ promoting them.
- In your blogs, the articles should be about the benefits of the products or product reviews. But you should also add a few limitations of the product too just to keep things neutral. But the positives of the product should be greater than the negatives.
- Never copy-paste the articles. Plagiarism will be the cause of your doom as an affiliate marketer.
- Another very common question regarding affiliate marketing is, “how do I choose the product that I want to promote?”. You can do this in two ways. You can go to Amazon, find out the best selling products and then find a suitable keyword for those products or you can find out less competitive keywords and find products that match those keywords. I follow the first rule.
I will write more about affiliate marketing in future. You can write to me about your questions and I will try to answer them as soon as I can. I didn’t have any guide who can help me through the way, so I had to learn the hard way. But you have me and I will show you the way for free! I may not be an expert but I can certainly show you the right way.
Consider sharing this article! Sharing encourages me to write more!